Monday, March 28, 2011

3/21/2011 - 3/27/2011 (Week 1)


3/21/2011 - 3/27/2011

Running:

Time: 7:03
Miles: 44

I've been slacking with the elevation updates because of my Runkeeper GPS not being able to get signal. The clouds and wind in Reno were brutal last week.

Week 1

Last Monday was absolutely harsh. It started with a very simple run from the backside of school (Evans Rd) to 7th & McCarran. This is a run I've done many times that's very moderate on pavement (10 miles to be exact). The start of the run was fine other than the cold weather, but on the way back my left hip flexor was shooting a pain into my groin. This was no bueno. Day 1 and I was already hurting. Also, I felt extremely dehydrated which was probably from the two days of drinking the previous week. I was not feeling well and almost came home. The next day I didn't run because my hip flexor was hurting to even walk. Instead I went to Lombardi to row and ride the bike. When Wednesday came I went out for a light run and miraculously for some god given reason it felt better. I got in small trail run that morning in the snow then proceeded to blast my legs in the gym (which are still recovering). Yes, when I say "Blast" I mean it. Squats, lunges, dead lifts, leg press, calf raises, the whole nine yards. It was a productive workout breaking down the muscles I don't get to when running and a great sore followed if you know what I mean. Now...Thursday....(This gets its own paragraph)

Thursday

This snow run with Tyler Curley was epic as f*ck. It started with a light lunch at MEN WELDING FIRE in Reno, which is delicious, and I strongly recommend it. The snow was coming down and I choose to go run instead of going to my last class of the week (great idea). Keep in mind that I couldn't even touch my toes because of the leg workout the day before, but I figured what's a better way to heal the legs than run and break up the dry blood and lactic acid build up. Heading out into Keystone Canyon there was nobody out there but us. The run was about getting some time in on our feet and simply enjoying the snow. We did just that. I found myself following Tyler's minimus tracks in the snow while seeing him in the distance in front of me. During the run I caught myself smiling, laughing, and even chuckling a bit. Running in the snow that day felt euphoric. Following Tyler's tracks made me feel like I was a kid again playing follow the leader. During the run we crossed over and through some cold creeks which left my feet numb for about a minute after. On the way out the run was smooth because the wind was at our backs, but on the way in the snow was hitting us in the eyes. It was hitting us so hard we had to stop a few times, re-group, and figure out where we were. When we finally made it back to car, the best part of the run was yet to come. Tyler had the most epic snow beard known to man. I've never seen anything like it. It took some time to thaw out in the car. Overall, it was the best run I've had to date this year. Thank You Tyler.

As the week went on I found myself spending more time on my feet getting a few solid trail runs in of about 1:30 - 2:-00 per run. They all felt good and strong. I have developed a few blisters on the bottom of my feet but thats no biggie. What I did find eye opening about this week was not drinking for over a week, hydrating properly, eating healthier, and getting ample amounts of rest have proved to me that this is what it takes to get in better shape. I need to keep this mindset and stay focused on the task at hand. The only things I plan on changing with what I'm doing now is getting stronger daily and working harder each week.

"The only easy day was yesterday." -USMC



1 comment:

  1. Dude I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I had a blast that day too

    ReplyDelete